“Since the dawn of the atomic age, we’ve sought to reduce the risk of war by maintaining a strong deterrent and by seeking genuine arms control. “Deterrence” means simply this: making sure any adversary who thinks about attacking the United States, or our allies, or our vital interests, concludes that the risks to him outweigh any potential gains. Once he understands that, he won’t attack. We maintain the peace through our strength; weakness only invites aggression.” President Ronald Reagan; http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=41093 (Links to an external site.)
“Climate change constitutes a serious threat to global security, an immediate risk to our national security, and, make no mistake, it will impact how our military defends our country.” President Barak Obama; http://www.azquotes.com/quote/1173836 (Links to an external site.)
“We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones,” Trump said, “and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth.” President Donald Trump http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01/20/after-trump-vows-to-end-radical-islamic-terrorism-writer-rips-terrifying-speech-and-pays-for-it/ (Links to an external site.)
Clearly, a president’s executive policies can steer this country in one direction or another in terms of who or what we view as a threat and how we approach that threat.
Go to the following link: http://www.rand.org/topics/national-security.html (Links to an external site.)
Choose and read any two articles pertaining to a national security topic.
After reading the two above articles write a minimum of a one page comparison of one or more president’s executive policies to another and at a minimum address the following:
- Briefly summarize both articles. Provide comments and opinions as to whether you agree or not with the article.
- Compare and contrast the subject matter of the article to one or more similar national security issues under the Trump Administration. Address the following:
- Are President Trumps policies, as you see them, in line with recommendations/policies supported by the article? Why or why not?
- Based on the established history from President’s Barak Obama and George W Bush what do you think their positions would have been on the subject matter. Would their positions be in line with the recommendations/policies supported by the article? Why or why not?
- What would you recommend if you were president on the subject matter as it pertains to national security?
- Support your answers with sources as described above. Please use the ECPI Online Library, and your textbook to conduct your research.
- Use in-text citations and a reference list in your responses using APA format.