In one year, biologists tracking a bear population counted 33 new baby bear cubs in a population of 546 bears.
- Calculate the birth rate (b) of this population.
- In the same year, the biologists counted 28 black bear deaths. Calculate the death rate for this population.
- What is the per capita rate of increase for this black bear population?
- What would you estimate the change in black bear population size would be for the following year? Be sure to adjust the N to reflect the new births and deaths. When you get your answer, round to the “nearest bear” and answer the question – is this population increasing or decreasing in size?
- Determine the number of births and deaths you would expect the following year. Round to the “nearest bear